Monday, July 16, 2012

ACT IV. Wow, I didn't think Dr. Stockmann would be able to get a place to hold his town meeting! I'm very surprised he did. I still don't think that this meeting will end in being able to fix the baths. There are too many people against the idea and the mayor won't allow it. I wonder why Hovstad, Peter Stockmann, and Aslaksen are not seated together because the mayor is the one who switched their opinions to be the same. Although the mayor runs the town, I don't think it was very fair for him to start off the meeting by stating the doctor is out to ruin the town. It was Dr. Stockmann's meeting, so I didn't understand why the mayor and Aslaksen began the meeting. Dr. Stockmann became really angry, and I can understand why. The authorities were saying he was an enemy of the people and he is out to destroy the town. The doctor is just trying to fix the baths so they aren't poisonous. Why is the drunken man even in the meeting? I thought there would be people guarding the door to not let people in the meeting. Dr. Stockmann was right about the town being poisonous because they are trying to cover up the toxic baths because of the finances. Although Dr. Stockmann had a point about the town, he did get a little carried away explaining. The doctor had to expect to be yelled at by saying that stuff about majority is the real enemy. What does Dr. Stockmann mean about being a freethinker? I didn't really understand that. I don't think printing the article in other towns will help with this town, but the doctor is willing to do anything it takes to fix the baths. Dr. Stockmann being declared as "an enemy of the people" is going to hurt his reputation as well as his family's.

No comments:

Post a Comment